Sunday, October 28, 2007

Racial Awareness

On the news last week, there was an incident in our country(I can't remember where but it truly could of been anywhere), that has made me more aware of racial issues around me. I am very much a momma bear with my children, and I feel it starting to come out in the child(ren) that soon will be mine as well. There was a woman stop by police because they thought she was driving a stolen SUV, she had two children in the back seat and was five months pregnant with her 3rd. When she was stop she was dragged out of the car and forced to lay on her belly, pleading with the officers she was pregnant. Eventually they caught on to the mistake that they were making and had her get off the ground and belly. This woman definitely looked 5 months pregnant and she didn't even look the part of a car thief. I watched the interview of the superior officer of the policemen who were involved on GMA, and he kept saying how this was a standard stop and the officers did everything correctly. Yeah, Chris Cuomo didn't buy it either. Any how discussing this with my husband he pretty much could see how the officers would handle it that way, until I asked him would this be aceptable treatment for one of his daughters. He couldn't really see Katy Rose being in a situation like this but when I said we could be adopting a daughter and fast forward 20 years she would be a woman of color and would this be aceptable treatment for his daughter of color? And of course his response was absolutely not. Well, we are not by any means a racist family, we accept people as sons and daughters of a loving Heavenly Father. However with that said, I don't do anything to stop racism. When I get a joke via email, I will delete rather than email back and tell them that is not acceptable to me or when I hear a rude comment or remark I am ashamed to admit I will stand silent. What if my silence has ever been mistaken as acceptance? Lately I have been thinking on myself and maybe the changes I need to make on this topic. This momma bear might be coming out of hibernation on this issue!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

There is nothing more painful than seeing your child hurt. Take that and multiply it by ten - that's how badly it hurts to hear racist comments when you have a child of a minority race. It leaves a sick feeling in your stomach. Racist jokes are NOT funny.

Not that I didn't realize that racism existed pre-Allison, but now it is...So.In.My.Face.

I get comments like: Is she going to play the violin? Or, I bet she'll be really good at Math. Or, Chinese people good at gymnastics, science, school, etc. ...I blows my mind how people can be such racist morons.

Honestly, I feel it's important to speak up, but it depends on the situation. Sometimes you're in the line at the supermarket and hear it - not the place to whip out the soapbox.

Here's the saddest thing of all...you'll probably hear many of the comments/remarks from people you know and like. That's STICKY. Then, the gloves are off!

Tammy said...

Oh yeah, I wanted to add:

I have spoken up to many friends/family members about racist comments regarding a minority race other than Chinese. EVERY time the person would defend their ignorance by saying "I don't mean that about Chinese people.." - WTF? Like.It.Matters?! Racism is Racism. You are either racist or not. Just like being pregnant. You are, or you're not. Period.

Sherri said...

Aileen,

I was so blessed by the comment you left for my blog I thought I'd check out yours! I feel the same way too, that maybe in the past I haven't thought to much about race issues, but will be soon.

I wanted to let you know that through our agency (Children's Hope International, who I couldn't say enough good about!) we have some moms that get together and pray online at http://chat.crosswalk.com/ on Monday nights from 9:30-11:00ish EST. We also talk and fellowship. All the ladies are adopting or have adopted from Colombia. If you want to come feel free, we'd love to answer questions. We meet in the "CHI Adoption Prayer" room, and I am "cousineau7," just introduce yourself if you can come. Come at any time or for however long you can. I wish I had these girls around when I started!

God bless you! I'm glad you reached for the hem too!

Sherri